Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Stroumbo


"You have thirty seconds!"
Originally uploaded by the fod.
Anne, Melissa, and I got to see George in action a week ago today. I was surprised by three things:
1. He genuinely loves his job – so much so that he has a hand in every aspect of the show, from guest-selection and writing to review and implementing changes. The guy doesn't sleep.
2. He's thirty-five years old! I don't know, this may not be news to some, but – shocker to me – I figured he was in his late twenties.
3. He'll stick around after filming to spend time with anyone who wants to talk until the last person leaves. A girl who works there told us that sometimes he's there for three hours after the show. Nice guy.

In the commercial breaks he chatted with us about whatever questions we had or whatever was on his mind. Guest selection was a topic that came up and he mentioned that he makes an effort to select guests that he's actually interested in, giving the spotlight to people that he believes in as people, not just as celebrities or a boost for the ratings. It's an admittedly biased selection process for the most part, but his intentions are to bring relevancy to a scene that is often lacking in reality checks. The Hour has its weaknesses, like any television show, but it was refreshing to hear him talk shop.

If you're looking to experience this for yourself, tickets are free. Let me know if you're going, I'll probably want to attend again at some point depending on the guests.

4 comments:

Ted Avery said...

That's awesome. No matter how genuine a celebrity appears to me, I can never shake the feeling that they are just doing it for show, since all that stuff can benefit one's image.

George is one of the ones I've always hoped really was as nice as he seemed on TV.

(This is Ted from Kingstreet who does the youth site by the way... saw your comment at Josh's and thought I would start reading your stuff, hope that's ok)

Dave said...

Good to have you Ted. Don't be a stranger now!

Andrew said...

Hey Dave -

My cousin is really good friends with this guy. He (George) used to be a waiter, and my cousin would always ask for him to be his waiter!

I liked his interview with Campolo last year. I still have it bookmarked. It's a definite eye-opener.

Mystical Quaker said...

I had the same experience when I went to his show. Just an honest guy wanting to dialogue about stuff. BTW I found your blog from the Larry Norman interest link