Monday, December 4, 2006

Celebrity

Ah yes. There's nothing like a semi-formed idea to kick-start a conversation, or incite a riot. 

Here's one:
I know that Brittany Spears has not been wearing underwear this past week and that Lindsey Lohan is attending A.A. meetings. I am aware that Tom Cruise wore a girdle to his wedding, that Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock broke up, and that Danny DeVito was drunk on The View. 

It's weird that I know more about these people than I do about my neighbours. The media invites people into my home that I don't necessarily want to meet, while two doors down, my neighbour – a potential friend, becomes acquainted with the same familiar strangers and their exploited faults.

I wave from across the street, I stop to say hello, I help with yard-work, because I wish I could do more. I wish I could build community and forget that I am inconvenienced by adding the needs of others to my own; the complexity of colliding agendas. I don't invite my neighbour in because "I'm sure he has more important things to do", and secretly, I'm glad for the excuse not to inconvenience myself.

But really, life is measured in the connections with the true essence of people; their souls I guess. That's something I enjoy, authentic meeting with genuine people. As this partial-idea fizzles out I'll attempt a stab at a summative statement. 

There's an expression, something to the effect of 'I went outside to find a friend, but could not find one there. I went outside to be a friend, and friends were everywhere.' 
If you're looking for me, I'll be outside. I'll be genuine.

1 comment:

Beka said...

brittany, the key word in underwear is wear.
(i stole that from the procrastinating machine tonight)