Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Paid Gig



"Hey, I'm Mason." Not a shred of celebrity about him as he strolled up beside me to check out the stage. I had no idea who he was, so you can imagine my surprise when I saw him up there performing a few hours later.

I was paid to watch Mason Jennings and Guster perform on Monday night. Yeah, I helped move their gear around for a bit before and after the show, but that's just because I was feeling so strong from dinner.

A special thank-you goes out to Eli for introducing Bruce and I to coconut rice. Apparently, rice steamed in chicken stock tastes even better. That's frightening since Coconut Rice rules the world of Thai cuisine along with his queen, Green Currie.

Guster was incredibly talented; switching instruments every song and belting out these beautiful three-part harmonies. A fun live show ended with not one, but two encores! The second was a very acoustic song – without the benefit of a sound system.

"We're going to try something without the PA. You can help us by being very, very quiet."

That didn't stop screaming girls from cutting loose one strum into the song. They were quickly shushed by more intelligent fans who have a better grasp of the concept of sound.

A beautiful evening.

4 comments:

Margaret Lim said...

So I guess you got the job! And I actually got startled when you wrote FCUK! I was like AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

christine said...

awesome!

p.s. unrelated to yur post, but related to mine . . .
i was going to respond to your comment but i'm not allowed.
what if i never make the apple crisp?????

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mrcs said...

one day you can pay people too.

mrcs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.