Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Quarter-life Crisis

It's hard to be honest when someone asks who I am.

Apart from the whole name thing, which is difficult to fudge, I don't know who I am. I understand some of my preferences, but even these are fragmented and contradictory. I do not satisfy myself or a definition with any of the responses I give. I am not a vocation or a hobby or any of the other things I do, but I have no other handle. Maybe that's why About Me's always turn into a vague joke.

In Systematic Theology we learned to define the persons of the Triune God by their relationship to each other, not by their roles which are all entertwined since they are one being. The only method of distinction is by referring to the Son as he is eternally begotten by the Father, from whom the Holy Spirit eternally proceeds.

My father is Keith, my mother is Esther, and I am a brother to Matthew.

Even if it would never cut it in a job interview or as an introduction to a girl's parents, I am fine with that. I guess one has to start slow during a quarter-life crisis.

1 comment:

Mrs. West said...

I always love reading your writing. It's so inviting and unique. It's interesting that you posted this - I'm taking a course called 'life writing' where we read autobiographies and write a little about ourselves. Yesterday the prof asked us to take 5 minutes to finish the sentence "I am..." I sat staring at the page for about 4 and a half minutes and then wrote: "I am a shining star." I'm not really sure if that sums up exactly who I am. I always thought it would be easy to write about myself - but I always have trouble with the 'about me' section on profiles.