Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Love

I'm writing an essay on a diverse community called to live in unity, to genuinely love others – the Church as a visible representative of God. A couple things hit me. First, the fact that God would trust us to be his representatives, we're definitely not capable of representing deity. Finite humanity as a proxy for the infinite supernatural – we fall so incredibly short. So, in the most graceful move of all, God offers his love to us so that we can give that away. Supernatural, unfathomable love, overflowing our finite pockets. If we're tapped in to this extravagant love, it's almost like we have no choice but to give it away, it's going to be spilling all over anyway.
My second thought continues from that. What an honour it is to be trusted with love – trusted to give it away. What goes around, comes around. If we don't empty our pockets, we won't be able to fill them again. We would be losing the privilege to love.

I'm using U2's song 'One' in this essay. Specifically the line celebrating unity amidst diversity, “We’re one, but we’re not the same. We get to carry each other”. There's the privilege again, we GET to carry each other. I wept through the entire performance of the song with Mary J. Blige. The melody changes, the black woman in harmony with an Irish man, the heaviness of the empty seats, Mary just givin'er, the sweet simplicity of unison, the darkness of shadows, the humility of Bono kissing Mary's hand. After considering this topic so deeply, the impact of the performance hit me at the same level.

Often times, the Church is so far from representing God in all his love. I'm glad to have so many giving people around me who show love in all it's extravagance. I sure hope I do the same.

6 comments:

Beka said...

"...My counsel now is to pour on the love." In Corinthians Paul was instructing people what to do to a man who had caused a lot of pain. He said to forgive him and to "pour on the love." And that's what God's love does - it pours and gushes since it is handed out by the gallons by a generously giving God.
May we all be dripping with love and soaking the people around us with its spillage and overflow.

kattykatty said...

ooohhh, you're such a good writer. with such good thoughts. i don't think i'm gonna blog anymore.

but yes, lately, i've been falling in love more and more with this idea of 'Church'. God is one brilliant being.

christine said...

dave, thanks for that.
i needed to remember that . . .
gotta remember to keep giving.

i'm at work right now, so i can't really watch the video at this moment . . .

i will soon . . . when i have lunch.

mrcs said...

ha ha dave likes U2!

Anonymous said...

What does love look like? My biggest problem with Christianity is not the Bible or concepts about God and Jesus and all that. It boils down to what people who call themselves Christians do everyday, how I see them treat me and others around me. Are they willing to break out of the bubble, leave their comfort zone and spend time with non-Christians (God forbid!) Going to church sponsored events, outreaches and all is fantastic, but if you're not a genuine friend to people, if you're not willing to meet new people, in their territory, to give something and be a human being faults and all, then are we really missing the point of all this church? How can we learn what it means to be a Jesus to people who don't know Him, if we spend all our time with fellow "Jesuses"?
If we only befriend non-Christians whom we meet at Church, then that's us being lazy because people who are hurting and need a friend will likely not go to a place with a reputation for being judgemental.
God loves me? -Wicked
Jesus died for my sins- Wow, I do not deserve that.
God is there for us in times of need -good thing somebody is.
God made Christians his representative on Earth-how accessable!
Wow this all looks great on paper. Does it translate into reality?

Dave said...

I completely agree – it blows when people who wear the name of Christ so openly are the least Christ-like. And you're right, heck, I see hypocrisy in my own actions ... so I'm doing something about it. What are you doing about it?
It's like a 12-step program. The first step is admitting there's a problem. Well, in this case, I am the problem. So I suck it up and love those that I come into contact with.
Which will probably be nobody as I lock myself in my room and write essays for the next month.

Thanks for the comments guys!